LIST OF PROPOSED SITES TO BE DELCARED AS NATIONAL HERITAGE LANDMARKS/MONUMENTS IN GRENADA
The Fortified System of fortification of St. George’s and adjoining sites – hospital compound etc.
- Fort George - built on an old battery from the 1660s; regarded as the smallest fort on the Island however, it is the most important military establishment having played a part in every aspect of Grenada’s military and political history. Expanded from 1706 – 1710, it is now within its Tricentennial (300 years) of expansion. Regarded as one of the classical examples of early Bastion Tracer Forts.
- Fort Matthew, Frederick and Adolphus Complex which included the Home for the Age and Prisons, Richmond Hill Tennis Court
- Between 800 – 1500 yards of Fortification built from 1779 – 91, as a siege fort to withstand an invading army for a period of 6 months. Considered to be a major breakthrough in military architecture
- Government House compound – bought in 1790 and established as part of the fortified complex with the Government Battery decommissioned in 1850.
Fort and Underground Tunnel Network at Old Fort/Hospital Hill Redoubts – part of the fortification network and best tunnel system built by the French
- Portic Point and Ruin Point Salines - *NPPA Act. 1990 could be considered also – Site of old Medieval Leather Tannery last remaining of its kind on the island.
- Financial Complex Carenage – to be considered as part of the core historic district of St. George’s. Established in 1822 it was one of the best Commissariat and Ordinance Complex in the Caribbean.
- National Museum Compound - including the Drill Yard and open space leading up to the Old St. James Hotel – Museum Compound was established as the French Garrison when they relocated the Old Town of Fort Royal. It was also the site of the Goal and later the first Hotel on the Island. The open spaces were the Foso/Glacis of the Fort.
- Knox House – built by the French and also used by the British as former Governor’s Compound, Chief Guard huts, Legislature, Supreme Court and Library - *privately owned by the Presbyterian Church.
- The Market Square – established as part of the early grid system for the town during the 1730s, it was used as the chief military parade square for the troops. Was also designated as the public market square in 1791.
- Louis La Grenada Mausoleum at Morne Jaloux – built by the Legislature in honour of Louis La Grenade a French Coloured who fought with the British against the French during the Fedon Rebellion – PPDC Act 25 of 2002.
- Carib’s Leap at Sauteurs – site of the infamous Morne de Sauteur “Hill of the Leapers” incident between the Caribs and French in 1650 – NHP Act. 18 of 1990.
- White Lime Kiln Mt. Rodney Sauteurs – old kiln used for burning the natural deposits of lime found in that area and used for the construction of the town – PPDC Act. 25
- The Piton at Levera – hill overlooking Levera and Bathway with main access from Rose Hill – NPPA Act, 42 of 1990.
- Telescope Point – site of 1795 coastal battery that saw action during the Fedon’s Rebellion, was important for the protection of the Grenville Harbour – National Parks and Protected Areas Act. 42 of 1990.
Remains of Old Town Marquis first town in St. Andrew’s raised/burn to the ground during the Fedon’s Rebellion – PPDC Act 25 of 2002 - *site privately owned.
- Amerindian Stone Mount Rich – with approximately 60 petroglyph drawings, stone regarded as important Caribbean Amerindian Site – National Heritage Protection Act. 1990 – 9 (1)
- Duquesne Petroglyph Drawings – largest Petroglyph drawings on Island – NHP ACT. 1990 – 9 (1)
- Old Water Cistern at Paddock – first started during the 1730s as the old water system to serve shipping in the harbor, hence the spout at ballast ground – PPDC ACT 25 of 2002 – 40.
- La Sagesse Pond and Standing Stone – a small wet land area known for a rich bird life – the standing stone is on the site of the first built town in Grenada, Megrin Settlement established by the British in 1609: 2009 was the mark of 400 years of this attempted British settlement – potential NPPA ACT. 42 of 1990 – ownership needs to be sought out.
- Pearls Airport – Amerindian Site? Airport building? – already identified under the National Heritage Protection ACT. 1990- extent of site to be demarcated.
- Paradise Bridge – 1811 – 13, PPDC ACT 25 of 2002- built by Gentle Men Apprentices is the only Georgian Bridge of its type on the island.
Carriacou – Grand Bay, Sabazan Amerindian Sites – under serious threat
- Dumfries Carriacou – Once considered to be the best agriculture plot on the Island – cultivation ran from sugar, cocoa and finally limes. Was site of agricultural experiment such as the growing of mauby and animal husbandry – black belly sheep. Rich in early French and British history